Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

I found two very different recipes for shepherd's pie that sounded great. One was vegetarian and the other was a hearty Rachael Ray recipe. I combined them, taking out a lot of the meat Rachel Ray called for and replaced it with kidney beans, the "meat" of the vegetarian recipe. Jesse, my dad and I finished up the whole pie--no leftovers! Yay!
Next time, I want to make individual shepherd pies for everybody, I think they'd be cute.
Links to the recipe's I combined into my own: Eat Better America + Rachael Ray = yummy shepherd's pie.

Ingredients:



1/2 lb. ground beef
1 can kidney beans
1 c. beef broth
EVOO
3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. frozen peas (I used half a can, but I prefer frozen ones)
1 tsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 box of instant garlic mashed potatoes (plus milk and butter needed to make them)



Get Cookin'


Add EVOO to hot pan. Brown the ground beef and onions, then add veggies and kidney beans (except the peas) to the pan. Cook, stirring often. In another (smaller) pan, cook the butter and flour over medium heat. Whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Allow the sauce to thicken.

After the sauce is thick, pour it over the beef mixture. Put in oven to keep warm.

Make the mashed potatoes and cover the meat with the potatoes. Garnish with sharp Cheddar cheese, parsley and paprika on top.

Broil in the oven for a few minutes, until the potatoes are browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment