Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sweet Potato Chili **vegan**


My best friend from elementary school is a vegan. I think that's why this recipe caught my eye. (Hi, Stephanie!) I also was trying to use up all the kidney beans I have (thanks to a sale at Fry's).

This was delicious, and different from your typical bowl of chili. I dare you--try it!
Thanks to my favorite crockpot lady for this recipe base. I changed the spices, but the rest is the same. Next time I'd cut the sweet potatoes into smaller chunks-they looked like carrots.


2 sweet potatoes, peeled and in 2-inch chunks
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes--I used a can with chilis in it as well
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice

Get Cookin'


Place all ingredients in 4 quart crockpot. Cook on low for at least 5 hours (I had classes all day and a lecture at night, I think mine cooked for about 9 hours)!

No comments:

Post a Comment