Monday, October 12, 2009

Caramel Pumpkin Cupcakes



I had a can of pumpkin I used for about two days to make pumpkin oatmeal. I lost interest because I didn't like washing a pot every morning at 7am. I've gone back to microwavable oatmeal. But, I still had a lot of pumpkin to use. My roommates and I found this recipe in the Hungry Girl cookbook. It's better than pumpkin pie. Seriously. The pumpkin makes them so moist, and the caramel topping is amazing.

The original recipe only made 12 cupcakes and used only 1/2 a box of cake mix. Who wants to save 1/2 a box of yellow cake mix? Not me. So, I doubled the recipe, as seen below.

For Cupcakes:
1 box yellow cake mix (most-style)
2 c canned pure pumpkin
2/3 c liquid egg substitue
2/3 c water
4 T maple syrup
4 t cinnamon
4 t granulated sugar
1/4 t salt

For Topping:
6 cubes chewy caramels
4 t vanilla soymilk

Get Cookin'

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all cupcake ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix until well blended (about 2 minutes). Spray muffin tins and evenly spoon the batter into the pans. Cook for about 12 minutes.

Immediately after the cupcakes are finished cooking, place caramels and soymilk in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave at medium power for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir vigorously until completely blended. Microwave again for 30 seconds. Drizzle caramel sauce over cupcakes.

Each cupcake only has 108 calories and 2 grams of fat. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment