Friday, January 21, 2011

Pita Jungle

Jesse and I met in Tempe for an early dinner date this afternoon since I'll be staying at my dorm over the weekend. Since we're not in Tempe for dinner very often, I was so excited to go back to Pita Jungle, an Arizona treasure.

I wanted to be back at the dorms early, so we ate at 4pm, which ended up being great because we got to hit up their happy hour. (They also have reverse happy hour, 9pm-close). Beers were $2, wine $3. Their tapas were amazing, too. We got the hummus trio (only $1), but there's a large selection of other great starters like baba ganoosh, dolmades (my favorite) and garlic sauce for pita.

Jesse got the gyro and I ordered the lentil fetoosh salad (what's a fetoosh?). Lentils and rice cooked with carmelized onions, over mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, sumac, toasted pita chips and lemon vinaigrette. It was superb. And, did you know that lentils + rice = complete vegetarian protein?

Another location just opened up in downtown Phoenix, walking distance from the downtown ASU campus (eek!). I have a feeling I'll be eating more than my fare share of dolmades and hummus with a closer location.

No comments:

Post a Comment