Monday, May 2, 2011

Breakfast Cereal Bar

Week one at my new job: done. I haven't gotten up this early, this consistently, since high school. College has made me soft! (And spoiled with a meal plan). Prepping for the grave loss of my meal plan in two weeks, I'm collecting recipes I can use for weekday breakfasts and lunches. 

I'm a big fan of batch cooking. It's a lot easier to cook on Sunday and have healthy meals ready to grab the rest of the week. This is my breakfast for the week.  

Bonus: This recipe has no added sugar.

Ingredients

1/2 cup nut butter
2 bananas, mashed (the riper the better)
1/2 cup whole nuts (choose your favorite)
1 ½ cup total of dried fruits (cherries, cranberries, apricots, raisins, coconut, etc.)
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
Pinch cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds (optional)
yield: 12 bars

Get Cookin

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Using a food processor, coarsely chop nuts and dried fruits. Mix nut butter and bananas until a paste forms. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.

Spoon into lightly greased muffin cups, bake for 15 minutes. Store in refrigerator for 5 days (perfect timing for the work week).
For one breakfast bar = 190 calories, 8.4 g fat, 26.7 g carbohydrates, 5.4 g protein, 3.1 g fiber, 52 mg sodium, 5 PointsPlus

No comments:

Post a Comment