Monday, April 26, 2010

Fish Sticks, revisited

When I was little and my parents went out on 'date night' and I was left with my super cool babysitter that I loved and adored, I always got to pick the menu for dinner. Usually it was mac&cheese or fish sticks. (Sorry babysitter Ashley, I'm sure you hated my dinner choices!)

Here's a great recipe for fish sticks that you don't have to feel guilty about eating! I love knowing what goes into my food. Thanks to A Life Less Sweet for the recipe. We always make our own bread crumbs, too. Store bought ones tend to have way.too.many unnecessary ingredients.

Ingredients:

1 lb fish fillets (I used cod)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (read the ingredients!)
2 eggs, lightly beaten and thinned with about 1 TBSP of water
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
cooking spray (like Pam)

Get Cookin'

Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.

Mix flour, thyme and garlic powder in a bowl. Pour the thinned egg into a separate shallow bowl. Last, combine the breadcrumbs and panko in a third shallow bowl or plate.

Cut the fish fillets into 1" wide strips. Sprinkle the fish on all sides with the seasoning salt. Dredge each strip first in the flour mixture, then in the egg, and last in the breadcrumbs. Place the coated strips on the baking sheet. Lightly spray all of the strips with oil.

Cook the fish for 10 min or until flaky.

To freeze:
Place cooked strips neatly on a baking sheet. Make sure that there is a little space between each strip. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and put in freezer for a few hours until the strips are completely frozen. Store in a container of your choice.

To reheat, cook the frozen strips in a 400 F oven for 10-12 min or until strips are completely warmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment